01. MARKET PLACE
Fakenham was granted a Charter Market in 1250 and markets have been held here ever since.
The rights to the Market were conveyed by the then Lord of the Manor Bertram Edward Jones to Fakenham Town Council in 1956. The profits from the market rents are held in a separate Market Tolls account and grants from this are awarded to schemes that benefit Fakenham residents. Over the years, it is thought that the buildings in the Market Square were developed as some market stalls became more permanent.
The newest building on the north side is the redevelopment that followed the Aldiss fire in 2014.
The Market Place was resurfaced in 2000 and the design won a British Council of Shopping Centres Design Award. The large panels of printing blocks in the main square remind people of the historic importance of the printing industry to the town.
The next Plaque is on The Crown on the south side of the road.
The photo shows the service at the dedication of the War Memorial, one of the VIPs is Sir George Edwards. In the background are Peckover properties whilst they were still private houses. The memorial was erected in 1921 at a cost of £600, it records the names of those lost in both World Wars as well the Korean War.