Fakenham Church is not mentioned in the Domesday Book but some stones in the northeast part of the church seem to have Saxon origins. A doorway at the west end of the north aisle is from Early English times. The present Nave and Chancel were built in the 14th century, and the tower with its 146 steps was added in the next century.
The octagonal font dates from the 15th century with panels depicting emblems of the four evangelists, the Passion, the Trinity and the Royal Arms.
The right of appointment to the living was passed to Kings Hall, Cambridge, which in 1547 united with Michaelhouse to become Trinity College; it still has this right and is a large landowner around the town.
Major restoration work took place in Victorian times and the nave and chancel roofs date from that period. The 14th century chancel screen was heavily restored in 1864.
One of the memorials on the south wall is to Dr Palin who was the grandfather of Sir Michael Palin of Monty Python and TV fame. A fuller history can be found displayed in the church.
The next Plaque is Barclays Bank's Railings.
A view of St Peter & St Paul Church taken from the south side.
The octagonal font dates back to the 15th Century.