21. THE STAR
The history of this house with its Dutch gabled ends can be traced back to the 17th century, it did not become an inn until 1829. A Manorial record of 1672 states that it had originally consisted of three properties though was a single property by that date.
In 1811 the surgeon Thomas Edgar sold the property to the auctioneer Thomas Platten for £420. Thomas's son sold it to a brewer Stephen Read who two years earlier had bought a brewery in Hall Staithe. His widow sold it for £825 and in 1829 it became a pub. Richard Carraway was the landlord and placed the following advertisement.
Star Barn is on the other side of Oak Street and was no doubt part of the stabling mentioned in the advertisement. It was used by the Salvation Army as a meeting room before they moved to the old Wesleyan Chapel. They moved back again after the chapel was bombed in Second World War and stayed until the Salvation Army Temple was built. The barn later became the Printing Works Club and continued as such long after
Fakenham Press closed. It has now been converted into three houses.
There were many other pubs
● Near the Star in Wells Road was The Cattle Market Tavern which took its name from the market that later moved to Cattle Market Street.
● The Red Lion and The Crown are featured individually on the Trail.
● Other pubs include the Bull in Bridge Street (previously Bull Street) and The Limes – now Wetherspoons.
● The Rampant Horse is in Queens Road (previously Rampant Horse Street).
● The Anchor in Holt Road, previously The Red Cow or Cow, closed in 1965.
● In Norwich Road were The Bell, The Railway Tavern, The Great Eastern and The Victoria. The Dukes Head was in Quaker Lane and The Three Tunns in Tunn Street.
● In Nelson Street, The Lord Nelson was converted into apartments and its outbuildings replaced by new homes in Hamilton Court, named after Emma Hamilton, Nelson's mistress.
● The Royal Oak and the Vine, like The Star, were all in Oak Street, whilst the Sun was in Norwich Street.
Continue along the street to the Methodist Chapel.