15. WHITE HORSE STEET
There is little to see here now, though until the nineteen eighties the main north-south road ran from Bridge Street via Cattle Market Street into White Horse Street through the heart of the printing works.
Printing was the town’s major industry.
Chadley Stewardson came to Fakenham in the early 19th century and started a printing business in Upper Market. After a time he bought the rented property and extended it over the passageway to the church. In recent times this formed part of the Aldiss shop in Upper Market and, as a stationer, traded as Stewardsons.
In May 1823 an advertisment
The Conservative Club, the Post Office and Telephone Exchange can be seen at the top of the road. This picture was taken near Plaque 15 and Oxborough Lane is to the right behind the telegraph pole, it leads to Aldiss, Kinnertons (both of which were part of the printing works) and the Quaker Burial Ground.
The Lancaster Press operated on part of the east side of the street until it moved to Holt Road. Wyman & Sons were taken over and became Cox & Wyman in 1959. It developed a reputation as the printer of high class "coffee table" books. Due to changing methods and cheaper foreign labour, the last printing firm, Fakenham Press, closed in 1982. The loss of jobs was a major blow to the town.
You should now walk along Oxborough Lane, the next plaque is on the gate of the Quaker Burial Ground on the right past Aldiss.