19. FAKENHAM JUNIOR SCHOOL
The school was opened in 1913 as a Council School for Infants, Boys and Girls. It could accommodate 750 pupils. The girls and infants were taught in different buildings from the boys. They had separate head teachers and even the playgrounds were fenced off from each other.
In 1935 it became Fakenham Central School and the dividing wall was knocked down. When the new Fakenham Infants School was opened in 1980, it became Fakenham Junior School. The railings were designed by the children and were erected in 2013 to mark the centenary of the school.
WELCOME to FAKENHAM JUNIOR SCHOOL
Welcome to the story of our school
OUR SCHOOL OPENED IN 1913.
The two chestnut trees were planted then too.
The building was very modern for its time
with running water and central heating.
The school was opened with
603 children aged 5 to 14.
Boys and girls were taught separately
and had separate playgrounds.
During World War 1 we had a Cadet Corps and
a military band 1914-1918.
By 1935 girls and boys were taught
together in class.
1939 to 1945 was World War 2.
Children would run around in the playground
pretending to be aeroplanes as the war planes
The older children were moved to the new high school in 1958.
bye, bye, bye, bye
Swimming was taught in the river until 1969
then we had our own SWIMMING POOL.
WELCOME TO OUR SCHOOL
Gateway to learning...
In 1992 there was a big fire
It caused a lot of damage.
We celebrated the millennium in 2000
and the Olympic torch came right
past in 2012!
We celebrated the school centenary
CENTENARY RAILINGS PROJECT
Commemorating the school’s centenary
1913 to 2013.
Designs created by the children of
Fakenham Junior School in collaboration
with the artist Kate Munro.
Lesley Cook, Headteacher and Ian Randall.
Chair of Governors would like to thank
Fakenham Town Council and Logan Architecture. Installed by AOT Engineering.
You now should walk up Queens Road where Queens Road Cemetery is on your left, the plaque is on the chapel.