23. THE OLD RECTORY
This is a Grade II listed Georgian building built in the early 1800s. The first recorded rector of Fakenham, Wymerus, was appointed in 1226. Before the supermarket was developed, an archaeological dig showed evidence of a medieval moated rectory downhill from this building; it was thought to have been from the 12th century.
A map of 1650 shows a rectory to the west nearer Cromwell Barn, where Oliver Cromwell was reputed to have stayed overnight.
When the Rectory was sold and the rector had moved to the Old Police Building in Gladstone Road, Southgates, an Oak Street coachbuilding company, used the site as part of their car business.
In 1952 Edmondson's Ford Car and Agricultural agents took over and became a major employer in the town until the end of the 20th century, when the supermarket was built.
Reg and Mary Edmondson lived in the Old Poor House, previously lived in by T J E Miller and later gentrified by Mr Butcher the solicitor. They lost their only son Peter in a car accident on the way to a Cup Final when driven by the manager of Eastern Counties Farmers part of whose agricultural works contained the old Regal Cinema (Electric Pavilion) on Holt Road.
AUDIO - Click to Play
VIDEO - Coming Soon!
Next on your left is the Salvation Army Citadel