25. OLD POST OFFICE
The two men to the left of the door are postmen. The three arched windows form the post office which was converted from Bambridge's shop in 1846. This had traded as a grocer, china and glass shop, ironmonger and post office. Mr Bambridge also collected the market tolls.
Note the distinctive gaslight in the photo.
A Post Office map of 1677 shows there was a postal service at Fakenham; letters would have been collected at an inn or similar.
The first Fakenham postmistress, Elizabeth Marchent, was born in the town in 1761 and worked until the 1830s. An office in Bull Street (Bridge Street) is mentioned in 1815.
The Post Office again moved to the other end of the Market Place in 1906 (Now Belton & Duffey). In 1933 it moved to a purpose-built building on the corner of Holt Road and Queens Road that housed a sorting office and Post Office counter. In 1994 that building closed to the public and the Post Office moved to Budgens supermarket (now Argos store). In 2008 it moved again to a newsagents Millers Walk.
You should now turn right into Hall Staithe where the Old Fire Station is further down on the right.